Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I was at an American Liver Foundation outreach seminar with my husband a few years. One of the speakers was a pediatric hepatologist talking about non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. In children. The youngest patient she'd ever seen it in was 8 (this is Colorado, BTW).....but mentioned that it's well documented as appearing in kids as young as 2!!! I remember a time when I called childhood dental caries *the gift that keeps on giving* and that was a depressing enough thought.

The condition [pre-diabetes] is marked by blood sugar levels that are higher than normal but not yet at the diabetes level.....

Thing is, though, that even this alert is a late stage event in the health-to-disease continuum and is usually preceded by a period of insulin resistance. If you factor the numbers of folk who're insulin resistance and only seeing normal blood glucose because the pancreas is pushing out ever increasing amounts of insulin, then the number of folk who're well on their way to disease is truly staggering.

Because I've started to feel a bit more mortal and being a pro active sort of person, I actually requested an insulin resistance test at my physical a week ago. This is in spite of the index of suspicion for any metabolic dysfunction being low.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.