Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I was discussing this thread with a friend of mine back when these posts first appeared. We were talking about so many classics of literature that we had not actually read, but knew a great deal about. Over the last couple of years I have been making an effort to go back and read some books I just never got around to when I was younger, i.e. Moby Dick, Dracula, The Narnia Chronicles, etc. . Well, my friend went off and thought about this for a while and came back to me with a summer reading list she thought I might be interested in working through with her. We agreed on a few recent works of fiction and non-fiction to add and, voila, we have our own two person book club started.

Here's the list:

Appointment in Samarra, by John O'Hara

A Christmas Memory, by Truman Capote

The Custom of the Country, by Edith Wharton

Emma, by Jane Austen

In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and its Consequences, by Truman Capote

The Little Foxes, by Lillian Hellman

A Passage to India, by E.M. Forster

Pentimento: A Group of Portraits, by Lillian Hellman

Sentimental Education, by Gustave Flaubert

Valley of the Dolls, by Jacqueline Susann

Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray

An Appetite For Life: The Biography of Julia Child, by Noel Riley Fitch

Kitchen Confidential:Adventures In The Culinary Underbelly, by Anthony Bourdain

The Dante Club, by Matthew Pearl

The Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy, by Daniel Yergin

The DaVinci Code, by Dan Brown

We started with An Appetite for Life, Emma, and Pentimento. I'm about one third through each of the first two. Anyone else want to play? I'm not sure how many of these we will actually finish by the end of summer, but having a list sure helps.

Winegoddess

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.