Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I was involved with ACAS since 2004. It was a good income provider for me until the world was disrupted in 2007-8-9.

I started investing in ACAS around 2007-2008, which would have been a few years after you, b&w. I accumulated throughout the dark days until it became my largest position in my taxable and Roth accounts. I couldn't resist the heavy discount to NAV, which was marked-to-depressed-market as required by GAAP. The double-discount and the fact that they were in technical default because the market value of their assets had dropped and NOT because they weren't paying their creditors in full and on time.

I didn't mind getting my gains in capital appreciation instead of dividends from 2008 onward. ACAS was the oddball in the BDC world because it stopped paying a dividend when it stopped being a RIC to make use of a massive tax asset, but it was my oddball! <g>

With ARCC gobbling up ACAS, I realized my long-term capital gains in ACAS and parked more and more of proceeds into deeper and deeper discounted ACSF.

Now with ACSF liquidating its assets to unlock shareholder value, I'm looking at ARCC again.

With the potential increase in leverage from 1:1 to 2:1, a proven BDC like ARCC would be a good buy. It would be a great buy if the price were to drop meaningfully below book. <g> Being a former ACAS shareholder and a current ACSF shareholder, it no longer feels right unless I buy at a discount!

Dwnwthvwls
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.