Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I was looking for opinions on purchasing a used Acura NSX. It is a 2004 with 70,000 miles

A quick bit of research shows that this car should be somewhere around $75k - $85k. It is a collectible car, which means it will hold on to a significant portion of it's value as long as it remains in good condition and it properly maintained. There's a possibility that it will increase in value.

So let's start with the car. Is it in that price range? If it's above, I'd pass unless we're talking about a pristine specimen. And then you would be looking at it only as an investment and not as a car you would actually drive.

If it's below that range, I'd figure out why. Is there something wrong with it?

In an extremely quick search, I found 3 similar cars available for sale in the country. While NSXs are rare, they're going to be available pretty much any time.

The summary here is that the car needs to be the right car at the right price.

Here's my concern, I am able to pay the car in cash which would significantly drop my networth. However, if I wait another 3 more years I will be close to my goal of reaching a million. What do you all think? Splurge at the opportunity or hold out and be the guy who owns a classic car and is also financially well off?

So you've got $500k now and believe that you will have $1 million in 3 to 4 years. That's a doubling of your money. Let's say you buy the car for $100k (because I like easy math), dropping your net worth to $400k. You should still be able to double that amount in the same 3 to 4 years, giving you $800k instead of the $1 million. At the same rate of return, you would go from $800k to your $1 million goal in an additional year.

Buying the car would delay your net worth goal by perhaps a year (or two or three - you never know what the market is going to do that far away).

Is that worth the trade off to you? Only you can make that decision.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.