Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I was on 72(t)SEPP distributions from age 52 to 60 so I guess around ~ 8 years? I took the same exact distribution and it was around 4% of my portfolio. As the years passed by each year, since my IRA continued to grow a little each year, the distributions became a smaller and smaller percentage of my total portfolio. I think by the time I stopped the 72(t) it was something like 3.67%? My calculations were simple because I only have one IRA and so I only had to do one calculation. It was enough money to keep me from having to start over and go back to work.

I didn't so much "choose" retirement as retirement chose me. I got laid off from the UT Vet School and went back to school and took 30 graduate hours in Holistic Teaching and Learning at the University of Tennessee College of Education and after having renewed my teacher's certification, which I had let lapse from when I was an undergraduate (double major in Animal Science and Vocational Education), I got a job teaching 9th Grade Physical Science at a high school near where we lived. I taught for a year and half and absolutely hated it. Towards the end I was having anxiety attacks and was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and ended up just quitting. I promised the principal I'd never teach again.

At that point I didn't know what to do and I was depressed and in pain from arthritis, 50 years old, overweight, bad knee and shoulder and both hips hurt. I found intercst's retireearlyhomepage on the internet and read it pretty thoroughly and used what I learned to make a plan. My wife had a good job and liked teaching so all I had to do was make enough money to keep me from having to use her money. Enough where I wouldn't have to ask her for money. I had some savings and am very good at living cheaply so for the first couple of years I just lived on my after tax savings. It got me to age 55 when my pension kicked in and then I lived on that till I turned 62 and started my social security distributions. At age 60 I stopped my 72(t) distributions and by then had built back up my savings so I was doing good at that point. Of course when I turn 70 and half I have to start those RMDS with my IRA.

So far so good.

Art
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.