Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I was pleased to be able to purchase some ARE-A on Friday at 25.66. I think this is quite a good value at a 9.27% yield and going ex-dividend in under a month. Additionally I shorted DRE and purchased the DRE-D convertible as a short term trade hoping to capture a half a point. If you take into account the fact that DRE already went Ex-div in May and DRE-D goes ex-div in 3 days, DRE-D actually trades at a slight discount to it's conversion value into DRE. I expect the market to rectify this temporary anomaly and take a small quick profit. Lastly, one I mentioned earlier, shorting OHI to protect a long position in OHI-A. So far so good as OHI has dropped almost 10 percent. I consider REITs at these prices to be trading/arbitrage type vehicles only. My only longs are LTC and VNO. In the case of VNO, I picked up in the last sell-off and may take a profit at any time. LTC is the only long term hold. I sort of consider my OHI-A long position more of a long term common stock position than a preferred stock position. It is really a bet on the turnaround of OHI so it is like a common stock position, but it has a wonderful growing annuity as the back dividends continue to pile up. On the short side, I continue to be short HPT, PPS, USV and MAL. The short position in MAL is a holdover from what turned out to be a very successful artitrage play mentioned earlier -- going long the MAL bonds and shorting MAL. I took my profit in the MAL bonds several weeks ago and continue to hold my short position in MAL. I may cover this position as soon as Monday, and I am not making shorting MAL a recommendation. As a matter of fact, since it is well below 5 now, it may be difficult for anyone to short it.
I think the REIT and REIT preferred markets currently provide some wonderful trading opportunities. I clearly missed out on some nice moves in some REITs, but feel quite pleased with the returns achieved by trading this market and capturing significant dividends in the process.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.