No. of Recommendations: 1
I was staying in an airbnb on the Big Island, Hawaii, (in the neighborhood of HPP near Pahoa, for those of you familiar with the island), and discovered an all seeing camera on the wall. It was not disclosed in the owner's description of his place, and it was perfectly concealed as a smoke detector. I took close up pics of it when he was out, went online and easily found it by the pics and the make and serial no. that were on it, and it WAS a smoke detector, but with the addition of camera.
It's focus was in the Kitchen/Living-room area. So, not the bedroom, but this was a place with a large room with a double bed and a private bathroom in the room -- so, a place that couples would definitely want to stay. And he was gone most all days, so the fact that the whole house was empty all day, with a couple there alone he could easily capture video of them that he had no business having access to.

I took the situation to Reddit/airbnb and asked what people thought. Many thought I should majorly complain and report it to airb immediately and seek to shut him down. I didn't have that sense of damaging retaliation, and, in the end, I let it go. I did ask airb questions about the specifics of the situation and what they would recommend -- but airbnb will ALWAYS overwhelmingly favor the Hosts, and not the visitors, as the Hosts represent their steady flow of income, and a Guest's complaints are seen as threatening their profits. So, in just beginning to inquire about their rules about it, I could see immediately that it would go nowhere with them unless I turned it into a huge formal complaint to get them to address it. I didn't want to ruin the guy's situation. If it had been hidden in the bedroom, then yes, absolutely! - but not for what he had going there to watch over the general 'common areas'. I do think that he should have been required to have posted it though - to have let the Guests know that the common areas were potentially on camera.

nl
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.