Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I was thinking at the start of the gymnastics competition that it might be an interesting piece to have someone that knows gymnastics look at film of some of Nadia's routines and "judge" them using today's criteria. Certainly some allowances would have to be made, for example I suspect most of today's required elements weren't even done back then, but it might be an interesting way to show just how much more advanced gymnastics is today.

That would be cool. I'm sure some judge somewhere has already done it for his or her own amusement at least. However, at the Olypic level there are no absolutely required elements per se. Each routine is required to have a certain number of elements at certain difficulty levels (the easiest level being A and the hardest being E) but you can choose *any* skill within that level. It isn't as if there is one skill that must be in every routine. Although it would be interesting to see a bar routine with no kip of any kind. (The kip is a very basic move on bars that is probably in every single routine.)

I want to clarify that by saying her routine was absurdy easy by today's standards, I didn't mean to insult Nadia in the least. Her routine was wonderful for her time. Since then there have been many changes to the equipment as well as to the way that gymnasts are trained and what they look for on bars. At one point it was considered a good thing to stop and hit a pose on the bars. Now interrupting the swing that way would be a deduction.

I do love that commercial where they show Nadia's routine and another gymnast (Nastia Liukin - on US junior national team, too young to try out for Olympics) on the bars at the same time. I have no idea what the commercial is for, but I actually stop the TiVo and watch that commercial at normal speed.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.