Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was told by my employer that I overfunded my 401k. I contributed 10000. But because of the make up of our small company and the contributions, I was only allowed to contribute 8600. My employer told me that I will get a check for 1400 back from the company that administers the 401k. He told me to enter this on my 2000 taxed as a pension distribution and that I would get a 1099-R but not until the end of 2000. Does this sound kosher that I would only get the 1099-r at the end of the year?

The 1099-R part is correct, but the reporting information your employer is giving you is wrong. You report the excess on your 2000 return as wages on line 7 of the 1040. See page 7 of IRS Publication 525.

You'll receive a 1099-R for 2001 which should have a distribution code "P." On your 2001 return you'll simply show the gross amount on line 16a of your 1040 and zero on line 16b.

Also can I still contribute 1900 to a simple IRA which I have through another job, to reach my limit of 10500 of tax deferred income?

I doubt it. The amount is OK, but AFAIK, SIMPLE contributions must be through salary deduction, and it's too late to do so for year 2000. However, I find the SIMPLE rules far from simple. Check with the employer or plan representative.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.