Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was under the impression that I or the brokerage was going to have to get into the nitty gritty of figuring out the value of the IRAs when they were opened and the value of them at conversion to tax the difference, which would be daunting if I had to find old paper records,as electronic records only go back so far depending on the brokerage. Is this impression correct?

Do you have after tax IRA contributions that weren't reported on an 8606? An 8606 with the cumulative after tax IRA contributions should have been filed every year.

If the only after tax IRA contributions are the current year, all you need is the total value of the IRAs on December 31th.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.