Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I was using Schedule A for the foreign tax in recent years because it didn't matter. There wasn't much activity in the investment accounts and we made some donations that kept our taxes at or near zero. 2017 was different and that's why I wanted to use 1116. And, yes, all tax was paid on dividends.

But after filling out form 1116, I end up with a little more in taxes than if I use Schedule A. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Form 1116 asks for all the income from the countries where foreign tax was paid. So I added up all the dividends, interest and capital gains from those countries and entered them on 1116. And that cut my foreign tax credit from $1149 (the actual amount of the foreign tax paid) down to $343. So it's better to take the deduction for the entire $1149.

--fleg
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.