Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 14
I was wondering about your methodology for picking the BBN list

The Snake (again, that's our analyst Nate Weisshaar currently aka TMFMossBeliever and hopefully soon to be aka TMFTheSnake) and I usually sit down and compare notes relating to 1) the current prices of the stocks we cover 2)what our blended valuations think they're worth 3)their near-term prospects or any recent news or developments that might affect the stock price short-term (this is largely guesswork, but it's the best we can do to add the "Now" element to "Best Buys Now" and 4)Our perceived strength of the company, which is composed of its competitive advantages, the sustainability of those advantages, the quality of the management team, its long-term growth prospects, returns on capital, etc.

All else being equal, the #1 BBN would be the strongest company at the cheapest price with a looming near-term catalyst that the market is missing. Of course, that combination is pretty difficult to get together all at once. The reason EDU rocketed up this month even though it's not the cheapest stock out there is because I think it's a very strong company that will be one of the first to get its groove back, so to speak, when investors start looking back to China. That's because I already know that many institutional investors love and covet the business. So, I thought this was an opportunity worth jumping at this month.

In terms of varying the BBNs, if two stocks are sort of a tie, I'd err on the side of including the one that has not recently been including. That's because we do want to do our best to make sure members are diversified and taking advantage of this down market to fill out their asset allocation strategies.

Internally I've occasionally advocated for turning the BBN Top 5 list into something like the Best Buy If... List. So that would look something like this:

Best Buy If...you need exposure to Latin America: MELI
Best Buy If...you need exposure to China: EDU
Best Buy If...you want energy exposure: SSL
Best Buy If...you already own all of these stocks: LUX

Those are hypotheticals, by the way, I haven't ranked those categories recently, but you get what I mean. I'd be interested to know if the BBN as currently designed are preferred or if something like the Best Buy If... format would be more paltable to memembers.

Let us know!

Tim
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.