Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was wondering if anyone out there is familiar with the rules governing IRAs for people living abroad. I am a self-employed contractor living in Germany and I am not certain if I can continue to contribute to my SEP-IRA (I would also like open a ROTH-IRA, but that's another post...) if I use the 70K exclusion allowance.

Running a search of "IRA Exclusion Foreign" I found a number of posts that might interest you. The second in the list is number 25047 from 1/14/00 and was written by TMFTaxes. You can get there by clicking on:

Best of luck.

I'm proud to be paying taxes in the United States. The only thing is - I could be just as proud for half the money. -- Arthur Godfrey
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.