Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I was wondering if you can file an amended 1040 to attach for 8332. We took the exemption for the child on the return, but did not attach the form. The custodial parent has verbally agreed to split the exemptions. They have 2 children. She takes one exemption on her return and we take one.

I'd suggest you go ahead and get the signed from from the mother, but don't bother with an amended return. If IRS inquires you'll have the documentation you need to support the exemption. It's doubtful that they will inquire if she didn't claim the exemption.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.