Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I went back up to the store today, and played with the Pfaff Performance 5.2, which looked very nice on their website, and the Bernina 740. The Pfaff is about half the cost of the Bernina, but I definitely liked the Bernina better. They had a used 790 on the floor that someone had traded in, but that is way beyond what I want to spend, and I don't need or want all the extra embroidery that it has.

I did play with the BSR. The first one was having problems, so they actually had to change it out to a different one. As someone mentioned, I found that sewing more slowly worked better with it, but I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. My stitches definitely differed in length, and when I compared what I had done with what I just did as straight free motion quilting, my stitches were much better without the BSR, so apparently I just need a lot of practice.

But that got me to wondering if the 740 would be sufficient for my needs. The differences are fairly small once I ignore the BSR. The 740 has slightly fewer stitches (I so wish I could find a list of the stitches in both the 740 and the 770 to see exactly what is different), and one less alphabet. It can take the BSR as an option, but has no capability to add the optional embroidery. And it does not have the 1/4" Patchwork foot nor does it come with the additional optional needle plate, but both of those can be added.

They seem to think they will be getting more of the 770 and 740 in, but are not so sure about the 765.

So now, I am thinking that the 740 may be sufficient for what I do, if I ignore the embroidery which I have been doing for the past 26 years anyhow. That would be about a $1200 savings, and I can certainly buy the various feet I want, some of which I'd need on either machine anyhow.

I think if they got the 765, I could talk myself into that for the $700 premium over the 740, and then I'd get all the extra stitches, but really, are those something I would ever miss? I think not.

I just have to finally decide what I want, and I am still a bit torn.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get myself to make this decision? Apparently, I still have some time until the machines start arriving back in the stores.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.