Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 10
I went through a bad divorce about 5 years ago. I have since been able to pay off my outstanding debt and have refinanced my house a number of times. Each time I have worked to clear up errors on my credit report and each time there has been a number of things (that even though cleared up at the time) were not "fixed" on the report and have shown up again. I recently applied for credit and was turned down. The reasons appear to be due to incorrect information (again). I have just requested my free report and plan to try to get these items cleared up (again).

I can't seem to convince the credit bureaus of errors even though I've supplied all the proper documentation. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with these bureaus to get the information corrected? Also, does anyone know of any organizations that regulate, oversee, etc. these agencies? I really don't want to get to the point where I have to sue them just to get the information correct.

Are these accounts with the original creditor, or are they collections accounts?

If they are with the original creditor, you should contact the creditor and find out why they continue to report the account on your credit bureau. Are you sure that the creditor has removed you from the account? Just because the divorce decree says that you are not responsible for the account does not mean that the creditor will let you off the hook. From the creditor's point of view - if you signed to be responsible, you are still responsible. If you were a joint account holder 5 years ago and the account has not been closed, it is likely that you are still responsible for the debt. So you need to work with the original creditor to get the account closed, and hopefully, stop reporting the account on your credit report, although they could validly continue to report any information on your credit bureau that occurs until the account is closed and paid off, if you are still on the account.

If they are collections accounts, you need to write the collection agencies requesting "validation of debt" - see for a sample letter requesting validation of debt. To properly validate the debt, the collection agency needs to send you proof that you agreed to pay for the original debt. If they cannot do so within 30 days, they can no longer pursue collections actions, or report the account on your credit report. If they do report it on your credit report, you can sue them for $1000.

You probably also need to read the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collections Practices Act) to find out your rights with respect to collection accounts - the FDCPA is where the right to sue for $1000 is provided. Here is a link:

Print the post  


UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.