Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I will be running the Boston Marathon next month, so I feel I can speak a little to the motivation of highly aerobic atheletes. If a runner or a cyclist believes that a product helps with their performance (and it does not have health or ethical downside)they will use it end of discussion. That being said I have never used breathe right-though I intend to try partly because I own a few shares. I have howevever asked other runners in my club if they have tried it-and a couple told me that they had found no benefit from the product. Why that it is I do not know.

I will observe though, that at least for runners, and at least for runners that are performing towards the top-end of output-they breathe through their mouth. In fact I have read advice that goes something like this: Do not even bother trying to breathe through your nose, let you mouth hang open, relaxed like a fish.

Yet, breathing its cadence, efficiency, the difficulty of.... is so vitally important to a runners sense of well being, that anything that helps will win converts. I run a fair number of New York Road Runners events, and I have to say although I see a few people wearing breathe right strips, they are not at all a common sight. I will try to pay more attention in the future, runners are obsessed with shoes.

Finally, cyclists are the prima donnas of gear. Beginning with their bikes, through to clothing, they have to have the right stuff. They also average considerably lower aerobic output, and might be more likely to breathe through their noses. I will buy some breathe right strips and share my experiences in the near future.

cheers,

marc
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.