Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I will be starting a Roth IRA through Datek for tax year 2000. I'd like to know if I can make tax year 2000 contributions in 1999, as well as make trades applicable to tax year 2000 in 1999. I'd like to know so I can make my first trades in December, the favorite FF month.

Hi Mark,

I went to the IRS site, and found the relevant information:

When Can I Make Contributions?
You can make contributions to a Roth IRA for a year at any time during the year or by the due date of your return for that year (not including extensions).

Looks like your out of luck. But since you do not have to pay taxes on your gains for the Foolish Four, the one year holding period is not as important. Simply rebalance in 11 months: December of 2000. Then you will be on schedule to take advantage of December rebalancing for the rest of your investing days.

Best of Luck,

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.