No. of Recommendations: 0
I will buy dividend-yielding stocks and index funds.

In a declining market, I don't see how index funds aren't much better than holding stocks. A bond fund's price that consistently moves opposite the SP500 is more ideal.

I agree with CD laddering though.

You need to decide on a strategy. When the stock market is down, assuming you have a long term view, buying a Total Market Index fund will be a good choice, if markets do go up eventually. Wendy is betting on high dividend stocks to be a better choice, though an awful lot of those are financials or REITs.

A CD ladder is a good choice if you are investing in fixed-income with the purpose of having steady cash flow. A CD ladder is useless for market timing when to get back into stocks and if it does turn out a stock market crash is accompanied by flight to bonds, a CD ladder will not get you an increase in value (except brokered CDs, and that is not a liquid market).
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.