Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Yes, it is true and there is almost no catch.

A good friend is very very sick. He is very old and we don't know how long he will be with us. His hero is Warren Buffett and we want to give him a share of BRK and tell him that Mr. Buffett was finally able to become his partner.

We want him to have the physical certificate. So that is the catch. It has to be the real physical document and it has to be shipped pronto (as in the next day or two). If anyone around here has a physical B share certificate, I will be willing to do the following:

- Pay $150 for the share
- Pay for the ultra fast shipment of the share

If the certificate that you have was purchased with a frame, etc., I will pay extra for the frame so that you can replace your share and get a $50 bonus.

You will have the privilege of helping a very nice old man and also the fame of being the person who sold the most expensive BRK-B share in history! (even Mr. Buffett would be proud of that!).

Please let me know if you can help!

Thanks in advance!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
The only person who would have a certificate for 1 single b share would be somebody who themselves wants the share for sentimental purposes. That person might have had to pay fees to his broker to get the certificate, so why would he part with it?

If I were you I would tell your friend that you bought an A share worth $150,000, signed by Warren Buffett himself, and it should arrive in the mail in 10-14 business days. If he is still alive after that, just give him morphine until he forgets all about it.
No. of Recommendations: 0
"The only person who would have a certificate for 1 single b share would be somebody who themselves wants the share for sentimental purposes. That person might have had to pay fees to his broker to get the certificate, so why would he part with it?"

That is exactly the type of person I need. Someone that has one share framed for sentimental purposes. I will obviously pay for every single penny to replace his share, PLUS $50.

Shares can be obtained physically without a big expense. For practical reasons almost nobody does it. But it is a fairly simple procedure. The problem is that the process takes a few weeks. I cant wait.

Thanks!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Take a look at this site:

http://www.oneshare.com/stock/BerkshireHathaway

I think it is a rip off but might be what you need under the circumstances, although there is a 4-8 week wait. I know you can't wait but maybe they will expedite the process if you pay more... My shares are in street name so I can't really help you out...
Thanks Rational.

As a matter of fact I did call both oneshare.com and giveashare.com earlier today. They both have a similar timeframe to fulfill the order and no way to accelerate it, even with an extra payment. Giveashare.com does have an intermediate step where you can print out a temporary certificate while the real thing arrives on the mail. I think that is what I will probably do unless I am able to soon find someone who already has a single B certificate.
I think that is what I will probably do unless I am able to soon find someone who already has a single B certificate.

Any chance you could call Berkshire Headquarters or even email WEB? Never know?

Here's an email... berkshire@berkshirehathaway.com

I didn't see any other way to contact them on the website...

Mick
It's a nice gesture - I wish I could help, but I don't think I've ever owned a paper certificate of anything.

best,
RS
Very tender gesture for your elderly friend.

He is lucky to have reached such an old age and have such a friend in you. That is quite an accomplishment.

About your idea: In my experience, when one owns a certificate, it usually represents more than one share. It is unlikely that anyone here who holds their securities in certificate form have a printed certificate for "one" share of anything.

Be that as it may.... If I were you, I'd overnight a letter directly to WEB, and see if he can put the pedal to the metal on this one share certificate idea.

Even though the office is small, there is a pecking order and shareholders are not at the top of the list. To get this done in a timely manner will depend on getting Warren to personally delegate this task to someone in the office.

Sincerely,

jan
With a little Googling I've found Give-A-Share:

https://www.giveashare.com/eshop/10expand.asp?productcode=BR...

Unfortunately it takes three to seven weeks, but, they will send out a gift note to the recipient to tell them that it's on the way. This may help.

http://www.giveashare.com/giftnotes.asp

Their toll free #: 866-291-9918
It is unlikely that anyone here who holds their securities in certificate form have a printed certificate for "one" share of anything.

This is common for people who want to give a gift to a child and would like something tangible to present. I suspect that a large percentage of certificates for small numbers of shares are issues for this reason.
Thank you everyone for their nice comments and support.

I contacted my broker and getting the actual certificate is apparently a relatively simple process with no costs involved. You can get a certificate for any amount of shares you own (so a single share is OK). I started the process, but it does take some time.

So I have decided to print a temporary certificate (that actually looks very nice) which we will give to our friend today or tomorrow, explaining that the original is on its way, and that YES, Mr. Buffett is now his partner.

Thanks again!
I remember a story about how the most in demand stock certificate for one share was for Playboy. It had an image of a playboy bunny on the certificate. I think the company is no longer public. I'm not dying (at least I don't think I am at the moment)...so there is time. But I will pay $50 for an old Playboy stock certificate.
But I will pay $50 for an old Playboy stock certificate.

eBay has a very active market in old stock certificates. I don't know what the going rate for that one is, but whatever you want should be available there.
But I will pay $50 for an old Playboy stock certificate.

And will you be reading this certificate for the "articles"?
Did you call Berkshire Hathaway? Mr. Buffett in particular? He might be sentimental enough to do something.