Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I will say that if everything passes outside of probate, then there's nothing left in the estate to pay for things like estate taxes, final expenses, or remaining debts, and that can cause all sorts of headaches.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not in my state.
The estate must go through an inventory and reconciliation before any assets can be distributed. TOD, POD and direct beneficiary are all held up until the process is complete. All liabilities must be identified and satisfied. This process takes at least 4 months. I have seen it take over 2 years when the deceased had a home that appeared to be "underwater" on the mortgage. Only then do the remaining assets go to probate.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.