Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I wish Steven Barnes had amplified his thoughts on this book, as a black man and a professional sf writer working sort of within the "legacy" of the field that Heinlein helped define. If he had, it may show me some holes in my thinking (as a white man and amateur reader and fan, and sometime Heinlein apologist ;-). But right now (and for years) it seems to me that calling Farnham's Freehold a "racist" work is a combination of projection and denial - an inability to recognize classical literary devices (satire, in its technical sense) when encountered in this strange setting, an sf novel, and when the subject matter is so difficult and arouses such strong feelings.

Thanks for the excellent analysis, Jim. I also wish he had amplified his thoughts!

-mapletree
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.