Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I wish you the best of luck. AJ is right, if you give details on income/expenses people will be happy to pick it apart for you but I don't know what kind of expenses you would have living with your parents right now. I guess kids stuff, food and gas mostly?

I think you're right to try to pay it off without bankruptcy, but without details can't give you more than encouragement.

My husband bought a stupidly expensive vehicle about 3 days before he lost his job and we had to call the bank to have them voluntarily repossess it.

We now owe $20,000 to the collections agency who bought the debt, and I need to pull up our credit reports, but I would estimate we have at least $6000 in other debt in collections. (credit cards we couldn't pay on, and medical debt).

What a mess! I know you can't do anything about this now and I don't know how repossession generally works but it seems a shame that that would add up to 20k. Is that more than payments would have been? (you don't have to answer, just thinking it through)... I'm wondering how much of that is fees and if there is any possibility of arguing away some of them. Of course, you would probably have to have some cash to wave at them for that to work well, so you may be best off paying what they've asked for for a period of time. Unless they are taking on more fees and interest the whole time you pay the 100 bucks. You might want to look at the details of that offer, if you haven't already.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.