Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
I won't say I have looked into every option out there, but we use Ting and have for years, and it has just gotten even cheaper. Our average total monthly cell phone for four (smart)phones was $61, now $45. Ting uses wifi signals wherever possible with no action required on our part. We are careful and use wifi whenever possible, or wait until we are in wifi range. Everyone in my family knows to use data only when you need to, and we do not stream entertainment profligately. You can use an existing phone, check on their site if the IMEI/MEID is supported. Or cheap used phones can be bought; we get ours on eBay.

From their site:
$10/mo +$5 per shared GB of fast data
Only pay for the data you use each month. If you use less, you pay less - it’s that simple. Plus, data is shared across all lines on your Flex account for even bigger savings.

Don’t use data? Only pay $10/month per line.

A. Simpatico
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Google "Obama phone"
Calling 911 or personal emergency?

Unactivated cell phones can call 911.
Car trouble or texting home
No. of Recommendations: 5
I won't say I have looked into every option out there, but we use Ting and have for years, and it has just gotten even cheaper. Our average total monthly cell phone for four (smart)phones was $61, now $45. Ting uses wifi signals wherever possible with no action required on our part. We are careful and use wifi whenever possible, or wait until we are in wifi range. Everyone in my family knows to use data only when you need to, and we do not stream entertainment profligately. You can use an existing phone, check on their site if the IMEI/MEID is supported. Or cheap used phones can be bought; we get ours on eBay.

From their site:
$10/mo +$5 per shared GB of fast data
Only pay for the data you use each month. If you use less, you pay less - it’s that simple. Plus, data is shared across all lines on your Flex account for even bigger savings.

Don’t use data? Only pay $10/month per line.

A. Simpatico
No. of Recommendations: 1
If it's just car trouble or texting you might want to look into tracfone.

Although, be aware, the coverage of cell service coverage depends on the phone you choose.
In my area Sprint is horrible while Verizon is the best.

Many people just buy the tracfone that's chosen for you via zip code, but for me they were recommending a 'Sprint' network phone which wouldn't work reliably.

I bought an unlocked phone on Amazon and got a SIM card (maybe paid a few cents) from tracfone to use the Verizon network.

I buy a one year card for around 150, so around 12.50 per month. You can also buy tracfone cards at stores in monthly increments.
I do use the text feature regularly so I do buy more text messaging occasionally.

Check out the website, it might will work for you.
nag