Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 59
I wonder about "#3 the fear of health insurance". Someone with only a $3MM net worth should be able to arrange his portfolio so that he qualifies for a free Obamacare plan.

But this is part of the problem with the US. You are describing the Health Insurance system in America because we don not have a Health Care system in America. My experience after 15 years retired is that health insurance in a Red State (Arizona) is very different if you are on a corporate group plan than if you purchase on the individual market . . . or the government marketplace. I was perfectly happy with my insurance when I retired at age 49 (SGSpouse age 48) because neither one of us was ill or required much health care. By now, we have determined that getting individual insurance to pay for actual care is usually a nightmare that requires us to file formal grievances with the State insurance commissioner for nearly every claim. While this slow, bureaucratic process takes place, health care providers are relentlessly trying to collect directly from me and making threats.

Here's how it actually works:
1- seek health care and get services from a provider.
2- provider files with insurance.
3- insurance declines without merit.
4- provider accepts decision of insurance company and demands payment.
5- phone calls and letters are sent to provider and insurance company.
6- phone calls and letters are ignored.
7- provider demands payment and threatens to sell your account to collection agency or garnish wages.
8- file appeal with state insurance commissioner.
9- wait maximum time allowed by law without any feedback from government agency or insurance company.
10- services are paid for by insurance company.
11- insurance commissioner sends a letter asking if you are satisfied but without indicating any details about the negotiations or decisions.

This process takes 3 to 9 months to play out. All that time, you do not know if the system is going to do the right thing, and you have very little opportunity to provide input or to comment on the process. Meanwhile you deal with several threatening phone calls per week from billing organizations that have no idea what is going on nor do they care.

I don't see most of the list in the article as important to me, but I agree with having concerns about health care in retirement. It is a frustrating and difficult process to manage. We need a health care system in the US, not a health insurance system. We need a system that focuses on keeping people healthy instead of on keeping insurance companies healthy.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.