Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I wonder can I transfer ESPP stocks to my son who is 16 years old. Each year I would like to tranfer 10,000.00 worth stock as gift, so he can pay his own college bills. If I transfer as gift, do I need to pay any tax? What kind of tax my son will need to pay? How to transfer? If anyone know,please let me know. Thank you very much.

As long as it is less than $10,000 per calendar year, neither you nor your son would need to pay any taxes. If you're married, your wife can also give up to $10,000 to that same son, likewise without taxes.

As far as transferring the stocks goes, there are several ways to do this. You can probably get a stock certificate from your ESPP and then sign it over to your son. If you have a stock broker s/he could help you with the "signing over" part.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.