Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
I wonder how to save myself from.this situation?

Sorry you feel that way, Bella.

If by "this" you mean your current situation, it's too late. You now have 3 choices: Sell, Hold, or something in-between.

If by "this" you mean the next time it happens (and it will) then I like the method used by a T/A expert at an investing site I recently joined. I "get" T/A and know some who make great use of it, but when I've tried to do it myself, I often come up with several different conflicting ways of interpreting moves, so without further study and learning, I can't do it. But this guy is incredible, hardly ever wrong and catches all the big moves right before they happen.

Anyway, he doesn't buy a new position without a stop-loss order to accompany the position unless he's quite familiar with the company. Say he's buying a 1% starter position in something new and speculative. He would place a stop-loss order at maybe 5%, meaning he could lose 5% and then his position would be sold at market pricing. If it gains 5%, say, he might loosen the stop to 7%, and so on, until he's familiar enough with the company to have confidence that it won't suddenly drop through the floor, and then may eliminate the stop-loss order altogether. Or, if still flaky, he would just keep a stop-loss order on the position at a higher percentage of loss that is allowed.

Some people think this is a chicken-$hit way to go, but I don't. It can sure save a lot of heartache when you're buying a speculative company for the first time. I've used the method, but very seldom; I figure if I don't know the company well enough to understand what they may do going forward, maybe I shouldn't have bought in the first place. But like all rules, I make exceptions when I think it will be to my advantage, and in this case, I can think of numerous "first buys" I've made where I wish I had used stop-loss orders. Dozens. Hundreds. Thoxxxx. Lots. :)

Good luck, B & all,

Dan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.