Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
I wonder if that dynamic is not limited merely to Islamic evil. I suspect that the U.S. media generally reports all international news - whether evil or not - unless it somehow directly impinges on American interests.

For example, there's been a sectarian conflict between Christians and Muslims raging in Nigeria for several years now. Christian attacks on Muslim towns - most notoriously the massacre of more than 600 Muslims in Yelwa by members of the Christian Tarok group - offer an opportunity for us to reflect on how universal the dangers of religious and sectarian violence can be:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2004/05/mil-040507-irin02.htm

Nor is there frequent U.S. media coverage of the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda/Sudan, a truly horrific group that claims to want to establish a "biblical" society based on the Ten Commandments:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/para/lra.htm

But neither the Nigerian nor Ugandan conflicts often make it above the fold or to the lead in the nightly news. A missed opportunity for members of all faiths to recognize that fervor in religious identification, if misplaced, can lead to extremism no matter what the religion.

Again, I suspect that the true culprit is that Americans have little appetite for international news in general if it doesn't directly and immediately affect them or their interests. Much of the evil in the world caused by radical religious groups - whatever the religion - falls under that category. I don't think it's limited to Islamic evil.

Albaby
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.