No. of Recommendations: 0
I wonder if the people saying kids can work their way through school are aware of how much harder that is since the days they went to college. The increase in college tuition means that it is no longer possible to put yourself through school working a minimum wage job.

Agreed. From a previous post/discussion: http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-that-its-good-for-kids-to-wor...

We had good savings and my husband has an excellent job, so paying for college has not been an issue. HOWEVER, the cost of school now, relative to when we were in school, was surprising when I finally sat down and compared them. Furthermore, it appears to be almost impossible to really know what you are going to pay for a given school unless you apply and are accepted and get the financial aid offer. And costs generally increase each year.

To the OP: Your kids have no concept of personal debt at this point in their lives. Our son will probably graduate next May (thermodynamics is wreaking havoc with him this semester, so there's a possibility of an extra semester). As graduation approaches and his friends (mostly science and engineering) are beginning to get nervous about finding a job, he is more appreciative than ever that he has no debt. Our formerly spendthrift, "I got this, Mom" daughter figured out how fortunate she was only part-way through the first semester last year. The growth she has shown being at a school that fits her well is truly astonishing. I encourage you to reconsider fitting college assistance into your budget.

Kathleen
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.