Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 28
I wonder if Trump has managed to lock onto the "good old days" syndrome and more gullible people are buying it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/seeking-americas-los...

I absolutely agree, but it's not just "gullible people" or "Republicans and their ignorant base". As the article points out, people have lots of different ideas as to when "America was great", but to state the obvious: "America was great" when

"Guys like us we had it made
Those were the days."

- Archie And Edith Bunker

I have had several conversations in recent months where the topic of Trump has come up. (Not always easy to avoid, especially in places like a campground laundry room when waiting for one's clothes to finish drying.) 2 stick in my mind, because both times the other person (male) seemed pretty knowledgeable, stable, and didn't come across as gullible.

One said he was a Democrat (thought Republicans were nuts re social issues, of course climate change is real, we need realistic gun laws, etc.) but was switching to being a Republican because Trump "knows how to fix things". The other believed that Trump would get things done since he was a great businessman. When I mentioned Trump's multiple bankruptcies, the response was "well that's the way business works". I didn't pursue the question of whether that would be a good model for the US govt, or if they thought the trains would run on time.

Both conversations ended with the guy pointing out that we were around the same age, had grown up in the 50's and "wasn't life so much better then?" Both times they looked genuinely shocked when I said "No - not for everyone".
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.