Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I wonder why the Pentagon does not stand on the rooftops, as it were, with this information. Is it because the SOF guys want to keep a low profile?...
There must be a reason why the story is not being corrected. Frog6, can you shed some light for me? Does the SOF actively shed limelight in order to maintain a low profile?

-------------------------------

Todd,

Broadly stated, from inside the community operational security is the prime reason to keep everything on a lower profile. The prevailing belief is that "the deed is all, not the glory". Thus most acts remain recognized only among the brotherhood and whoever typed up the award citation.

On those occasions when an incident pops above the radar horizon, leadership usually follows the maxim that "nothing is as first reported", and seeks to have the full story (minus any operational items) prior to official statements. That can take awhile, but these days "first reported" is usually very quick in the media and not always accurate, which only increases the importance of getting facts straight.

There are also anecdotes that the Pentagon leadership (from the 'conventional' side of DoD) isn't particulary hot to trumpet SOF -- their thinking is that it's a zero-sum game, and they don't want to de-emphasize the importance of everyone else. This may have been true in previous generations, but I'm not sure how much that applies now.

Things are moving along with this action, though:

http://www.pilotonline.com/military/ml0323seal.html

Cheers,

frog6

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.