Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I won't go into the intracies of rollover ROTH amounts; however, I think you all need to go back & read §72(t) --- there can be no 10% penalty when there is no tax & there is no tax when the distribution from a ROTH (or any other type of IRA for that matter) in not includible in gross income.

Actually, there can be. See IRC 408A(d)(3)(F) and Q&A 5 of reg 1.408A-6. I did confuse things by talking about the unity of the 5-year test, and I apologize for that.

If you do a conversion to Roth, take a nonqualified withdrawal from that conversion (applying the ordering rules) within 5 years, and don't meet one of the 72(t) exceptions, you owe the penalty even though there's no taxable income attributable to the withdrawal.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.