Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I work for an employer who does not offer health insurance, being the only wage earner, I have a health insurance policy that I have to pay for out of pocket.

Can I deduct any of this cost? Do I have to be self-employeed to do this? And if I do have to be self-employeed, must that job be my major source of income?

As gurdison noted, health insurance premiums are part of your Schedule A itemized deductions.

You may be thinking of the adjustment to income available to the self-employed for health insurance. There are some gray areas yet to be litigated, but the IRS position is that this adjustment is available only for insurance acquired as a part of the self-employment activity.

This comes up for discussion now and again in Usenet's misc.taxes.moderated. You could do a Google search if you're interersted.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.