Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I worked for GE for 11 'pension years' back in the 1970s/early 80s. the pension is not inflation adjusted. I took it at age 60 when it was the same as any age you retire.....not all that much, but it made no difference in amount per year when I took it, so I took it at age 60. Otherwise, lost money

I used to be able to take deductions every other year by bunching. Could pay taxes in either December or January of a year. So every other year, I'd pay two years real estate taxes in same calendar year. that got me over the $7500 threshold and other stuff became deductible.

Now, with $12,000 standard deduction, there is no way I can do it.

My real estate taxes are $4100 /yr and frozen after age 65 at about that level.

So I'll take the $12K deduction for a single.

Haven't done my taxes yet. Forms were still coming in a week ago......and usually one or two revisions on the REits and stuff.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.