Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I would also suggest that you pay close attention to a part of the article that you quoted: If two parties trade computers of equal value, for example, this may not be taxable – especially if neither party is in the business of selling computers.

If your house would rent long-term for, say, $2000 a month, and the house that you are staying in would rent long term for something other than $2000 (be it more or less), then it's not really trading something of equal value, so it's not a true barter.

The format I am interested in involves being awarded points for letting people use your house, and redeeming them when you use someone else's house. So by redeeming the points you earn, it's an even trade, though you may not wind up redeeming them on the same people who used your place.

This is a system that has been in use for a good number of years. If it were a taxable event, wouldn't there be more in the articles about that? There is nothing either way in any of the articles I've read.

Appreciate your input.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.