No. of Recommendations: 2
I would bet even money someone could not drive from any zip code in Bethesda to Germantown in 15 minutes, and that would include leaving at 7AM on a Sunday morning. I'd give 5:1 odds it can't be done in 30 minutes after work weekdays.

I lived in that area 25 years. Bethesda, while affluent, still has older apartments with reasonable rent if your son will share a 2 bdrm with a roommate. The next town up is Rockville, lot of housing & it's on the Red line, the metro transit. Germantown is really difficult for public transit and is served br RideOn busses.

Couple of suggestions, Bethesda anywhere, as there is no not safe area in Bethesda. A Large condo complex with rentals (older) is Parkside. North Bethesda and Rockville would work. Maybe even try the other way, south to D.C. Upper NW is nice, American University has many recent grads, or grad students for shared housing. Bethesda also has many transients come for a year to work at N.I.H. See if NIH has a website for housing.

I know the area well, it's affluent, corporate, and has become quite congested. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions. I'm on email daily but at the fool a couple times a week.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.