Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 91
I would challenge you to name a Leftist program/idea that has worked.
The TVA - Tennessee Valley Authority.
Good one.
How about free public education?
How about the Civil Rights Act?
The GI Bill?

The FDIC. Compulsory insurance for banks. Haven't had a bank run in 80 years.

Social Security. Prior to it's implementation, 50% of elders lived in poverty. Now that number is around 9%. (And no, it's not "bankrupt". And even if it were, it would still pay out 85% of promised benefits.)

Regulation of the financial sector. Worked fine for 70 years, until Conservatives decided it wasn't necessary, and was repealed in the late 1990's. We all know the results of that.

Protection of the environment: prior to implementation (over the cries of "it will destroy the economy") air was unbreathable in some places, rivers caught fire, toxic swamps were created, then abandoned by industry.

Air bags in cars. Government regulation forced the inclusion of safety devices in automobiles, resulting in an ever lowering of the number of fatalities, even as miles driven exploded.

Airline safety. "Black boxes" were included in construction of airliners because of government rules (airlines resisted), and the accidents per mile flown have fallen like a stone ever since. Anybody notice how the "free market" approach to airline security worked on 9/11/2001?

Infrastructure. The Erie Canal languished for 50 years until government decided it was necessary, then suddenly it existed. Likewise the Panama Canal. Also the Transcontinental Railroad.

Land grant colleges. Created to bring higher education to (primarily) agricultural areas they were, for decades, the only opportunities available to many, and pioneered many farming and other technological breakthroughs.

NASA. Rather than wait for the "free market" to put men in space, government decided that we would undertake a great scientific achievement using public funds. Along with it came an nfusion of government money into scientific curricula in schools, and the development of allied technologies, including, most importantly, the miniaturization of electronics (to save weight) and the development of the microprocessor. Other technologies included new composite materials, fabrics, fuels, batteries, radios, metals, glasses, plastics, and more.

Women's suffrage. In many states women couldn't only "not vote", they couldn't even own property, nor take a job without their husband's permission. That disappeared thanks to Progressives, who also supported the elimination of laws banning contraception and other women's issues including equal pay for equal work, family leave, and more.

Public education. In spite of the carping on Conservatives, most children and young adults have the opportunity to complete 12 years of schooling. Prior to the implementation of universal education, males got an average of about 8 years, females 5. Without public lower education, there is a smaller pool available for university education, and the rates of college graduates in the country have grown exponentially since the 1920's.

Workplace safety. Prior to OSHA, the death and dismemberment rate in the American workplace was incredibly high, a problem exacerbated since there was little insurance or incentive for an employer to keep around a disabled worker. The numbers have improved gradually, over time, concurrent with other regulations mandating coverage for injuries and antidiscrimination policies against the handicapped.

Mine safety. A subset of the above, prior to the start of the Mine Safety Act, several thousand miners were killed every year at their job. A look at a chart of mine deaths over time would show a dramatic decrease every time more stringent regulations were enacted, to the point where the number of deaths has decreased by over 90%. (And we produce even more coal these days than before.)

Should I continue?

Every one of these - and so many more - were intrusions by government into the market, either by regulating safety, mandating equipment to be used, requiring businesses to carry insurance of a particular type, outlawing discrimination against a class of people based on a particular trait, requiring tax monies to be used for the common good, or otherwise acting as a bridge to "provide for the common welfare", as one document of note requires.

I could give you list twice this long, three times, one hundred times, and then I would point out that through all of it, the United States grew to be the richest, most prosperous nation in the world - and one of the freest to boot - and then I would ask "What is wrong with this, that you feel you have to tear it all down?"

What is wrong with you, anyway? Have you no common sense, nor understanding of actual history? Have you gorged on so much political tripe that you are unable to discern reality from fantasy?

I weep for America.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.