Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I would do a secondary stock offering as fast as possible, just as Montpelier Re did when it needed to replenish its capital base in Hurricane Katrina's aftermath. I would probably look to raise maybe $500 million. I would give, say, $100 million to TERI which would almost double its unrestricted reserves and ought to preserve its Moody's rating. I would use the remaining $400 million as a capital base to support an on balance sheet loan portfolio. Perhaps I would look to raise even more capital. I would not take the risk that Moody's might downgrade TERI if I could help it--I would intervene first. I also would want to reassure FM's current and potential clients that it truly was a solid business partner as quickly as possible by improving FM's and TERI's financial strength.

Me thinks you put your finger on one variant of the non-securitization measures FM management had in drafting their recent press release. Another could be private placement of restricted securities, possibly convertible in future to registered common shares.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.