No. of Recommendations: 3
I would go to the Macy's in downtown Brooklyn and stand at the makeup counter while 7 women of color would be chatting away and paying no attention to me at all. I did not exist for them. I would walk away and think "this is Macys"?
Another time I was walking down 6th Avenue to Penn Station and a very large black man stepped on my foot while looking me directly in the eye.
I am a small person and I could see that he was doing this intentionally to hurt me. I was terrified as I had done nothing to provoke this type of behavior.

Lazy and mean people exist in every culture.
It is easier to come across in a big city.

The first time I lived in a small community, I moved to Jackson Hole WY with a friend. We quickly made friends with a couple from the east coast that had gotten there a year earlier.

We commented how much nicer everyone was than on the east coast. The cynic in the group pointed out that part of this was a direct result of living in a small town. If you ignored someone at a store, there is a good chance that if she complains about it that night at a party, someone there will know you. As people become more connected there is internal pressure to be nicer. I am not saying that they are not nicer, they are genuinely being nicer. I am saying that their exists social pressure to be nicer, so that someone who might permit themselves to do mean things in a big city, where the chances of it coming back to them is less than 0.1% will constrain their selves if they think the chances are 5%.

Mean people exist. Not all of it is because you are white.

Finally comparing not getting the attention of a service person or having someone step on your foot seems rather minor when compared to the treatment that black people in NYC get as a result of the Stop and Frisk policies of the last couple years. How many times have you been asked to stand against a wall and be frisked while in Brooklyn?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.