Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I would have probably taken every loan that I did --- I needed them.

The problem with school personal budgeting and spending, for most students that feel budget pressures, is the credit card.

The problem has been, that credit card companies lend to the very same people who can't get anything other than federally guaranteed loans.

As a result, the "sweet honey" in a college budget is usually the thing that tips a person over into the trouble zone.

I am surprised that the federal government doesn't curtail or regulate lending to people who are also receiving federal assistance in the form of grants and loans.

If these people were so credit worthy, why does Congress have to step in with grants and loans?

Alternatively, if these people are NOT so credit worthy, why is this exploitative scam being allowed to be run? (And no one give me any crap about "free enterprise" and "liberty"---messing up people's financial profile at an early age to turn a buck would more traditionally have been called racketeering or usury.

My regret, is that I wasn't a lot more noisy as a student borrower, and politically active, to point out all the contradictions and immorality associated with the practice.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.