Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I would have thought that the corporate tax cut would be the first thing that would be reversed.

1. Even a fair number of Dems understand the competitive disadvantage of a high US corp tax rate (even if the effective tax rate for many corps was well below the nominal rate). Some loopholes might get eliminated, though. From an investment perspective, I don't see it as a big deal either way.

2. It's not a priority. Affordable health care (including sustainable Medicare and Medicaid) is. Dealing with climate change in a way that expands opportunity for left-out Americans is. Putting Social Security back on a sustainable path (mostly by raising the cutoff ceiling modestly over time) is.

Getting back to the gist of the original post, I might add that a (proper) concern with deficit reduction and tax equity--by genuine conservatives as well as by progressives--might well focus on making effective taxation of investment income more commensurate with effective taxation of wage income. Since 100% of my income (other than Social Security) is the former, this would cost me. And I would support it (within reason).
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.