Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I would like to know how this bank used MDB because a bank is probably the best example of a transaction based business that would use a table based database.

At this point I do not see MDB as an “oracle killer” so much as an alternative for companies who don’t derive their revenue from transactions. Or new era internet companies such as Instagram or Twitter. Or certain companies can use MDB as a database for certain things and keep oracle or sap as their erp system. And when we talk about a $60 billion market I’m thinking bling erp is a big part of that.

As for slamdata and others if this is an open source product that companies can make bolt ons for then mongodb needs to be better than them in their product offerings. And if more companies wind up using mobgodb it creates a bigger market for these companies who want to sell to mongodb users. So mongodb needs to make a superior product than the slam datas of the world otherwise they’ll be giving a databas for free and other companies will be sellbig improvements.

Now I could be totally misunderstanding MDB but that’s something I see as a threat. I remain enthusiastic about MDB simply because they had 10 million of the 30 million the databas downloads they’ve had since their founding 9 years ago over these past year. That’s what you call exponential growth. And if MDBs “add ons” are superior they should see that in their revenues.

Maybe tam has is right, no legitimate business would just take the free product and run. But if a company with an it department of 5 is doing just that as indicated earlier in this board that doesn’t Suggest we’ll be seeing a bunch of Fortune 500 companies throwing a bunch of money at MDB any time soon. But we’ll see. I just sold my MULE shares and added to MDB with the proceeds so want them to succeed.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.