Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I would like to retire at age 55.

Good for you.

I will have about 300,000 in my company 401K and will also be getting a lump sum of about 400,000 additional from the company pension plan. Since I am not 59 1/2 I believe I will need to use IRC 72 (t) to avoid paying the 10% penalty.

Maybe, maybe not.

My question is do I have to put all the money into one IRA or can I split it up any way I want, into as many IRA's as I want and then pick the IRA to draw from using IRC 72 (t)?

You can have as many IRA's as you like.

For example if I decided I wanted to draw 50,000 per year for the 5 years can I set up an IRA with 250,000 and draw from that one and not touch the others?

Conceptually yes; however using §72(t)(2)(A)(iv); you will need a minimum account balance in the range of $575,000 in order to generate $50,000 of annual withdrawals using one of the three IRS approved methods.

Back to your 401(k) plan. If oyu are 55 or older within the same calendar year as you terminate your employment AND you leave your 401(k) assets in the plan, e.g. DO NOT roll them over into an IRA; you may directly withdraw any amount you so choose directly from the 401(k) without incurring penalties. All of this is doable pursuant to §92(t)(2)(A)(v).

Lastly, I suggest that visit the Reite Early Homepage; there are lots of posts on this very issue.

TheBadger
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.