Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I would like to rollover my IRA to a Roth IRA.

No, this is a conversion from IRA to Roth IRA.

As I understand this proccess, I will have to sell the stocks in the IRA (2K of NOK @ $27.22) and then open the Roth IRA and pay the Taxes owed.

No. You would have the IRA/Roth IRA custodian convert the IRA to Roth IRA, and the amount of taxes owed would be based on the fair market value of the stocks converted. If any of the money in the IRA is after-tax money, that amount of money won't be taxed for the conversion. There is no $2K limit on a conversion, but you must meet the AGI limitation for a conversion. Also, you will have to pay income taxes on the converted amount from other money (such as wages or savings), not from the IRA or from the Roth IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.