Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I would like your suggestions and recommendations for a new or low mile used sedan. I am thinking of:
a 3 series BMW
an Infiniti G35
an Audi A4
a Honda Accord
a Toyota Camry

These are completely different cars! I can't imagine why someone in the market for a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry would be considering a premium luxury car (or vice versa).

I want a VERY reliable car. I plan on keeping this car for the next 10 to 15 years during which time I expect to have two children.(I am newly married so the children are planned but not concieved as of yet:-))I've just starting researching online and looking for recommendations here at TMF. I've been busy and haven't made it to the library to check Consumers Report yet but plan on getting there next week.
The Honda, Toyota, and Infiniti are the most reliable in your group (if you believe Consumer Reports). According to Consumer Reports, Audi is just as bad as many of the Big 2.5 brand cars. To add insult to injury, I hear that parts and service on Audis is EXTREMELY expensive and only available at a few places, while anyone should be able to service a Honda or Toyota, as there are so many out there. The BMW should be more reliable, and the Infiniti should be even better, but the parts and service on BMWs and Infinitis is expensive and only available at a few repair shops. Just as Cadillacs are more expensive to maintain than Oldsmobiles or Chevrolets and Lincolns are more expensive to maintain than Fords, Infinitis are more expensive to maintain than Nissans.

Price is a concern but my friend's dad owns a chevy dealership so I've been told I could get any car at auction for his wholesale price.
If you want a reliable car to keep for many years, I don't think this is the way to go. Even if you think that Consumer Reports is for the birds and that GM is underrated, keep in mind that many auctioned cars are of questionable quality. These auctioned cars are usually trade-ins that the new car dealer decided weren't good enough to attract customers.

I'd choose the Accord or Camry based on practical issues. If the base model is good enough for you, the Accord is cheaper. If money is no object and you REALLY want the luxuries, then the Infiniti is the best choice. I wouldn't buy the Audi if I were a billionaire. (Then again, I wouldn't buy the Infiniti either if I were a billionaire.)
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.