Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I would personaly use total value-(all purchases and all expences)
In other words I would total up any tax liability $10 + commosion fees (if apllicable) management fees (for example on my share builder account I have six "free monthly purchases" at $12 or lets say it was a timed market order there would be a fee of $15 I would use the one figuer that would apply if it was a monthly I'd use $12/6 or $2 (if I only had 3 monthlys I'd use $4) If it was a market timed or one off purchase I'd use the commision fee (both for purchase and sell), I would also subtract the fee for any media fees directly related to that stock. Lets say it was one of five Hidden Gems from the fool site, I would subtract the fee say $200 (I'm using arbitrary numbers out of lazyness) divided amoung the 5 stocks (thatI persona;y researched and formed my own opinion one their value and future perfomance after reading about them in hidden gems) wich comes out to $40, if I spent an inordinate amount of time researching that stock I'd subtract an arbitrary dollar figure for my time (what ever I thought my time was worth), I'd even make sure book and magazine purchases were taken into consideration. Every dollar that came out of my pocket for that stock would be deducted from the selling price or current value including ones that I have'nt yet but will have to such as selling commosions. Every last greenback that was for that stock. To most people this must sound a bit anal, however; all the same Im single make under $40,000 a year and am forced to budget out every last dollarfor me those $30 subscriptions and fees for this and that eat away my hard earned cash and have to go "somewhere" in my budget.

Anyway at the very least figure in all fees and your purchase price.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.