No. of Recommendations: 0
I would quibble about "the stops don't generate revenue". They push excursions (and shopping) so hard on-board because they get a cut. That's why you can save money on the same excursions if you can identify them and book outside the ship. But, yes, they are trying to make the ship the destination (rather than the mode of travel), and I don't like it. (not that the last is relevant to your book, it's just me being annoyed with cruise lines)

I was recently on the Maasdam. 1200 passengers. In one port I saw the NCL Joy...monster ship, and it's not even the biggest. Maasdam could get into a bunch of places that Joy can only dream about.

HAL is retiring the Prinsedam (835 passengers), and their newest ship is the Nieuw Statendam (2600 passengers). Not exactly a mega-ship, but the replacement trend seems clear.

Also, it seems to me that smaller cruise lines are more likely to be "all-inclusive" (i.e. no extra charges for gratuities or excursions). Of course that doesn't mean you aren't paying for it in the fare, but your comment about "charging for excursions, liquor..." implied (to me) charges above the already-higher charges of those smaller cruise lines. Often not true. In fact, I want to sit down sometime soon and figure out if the all-inclusives are really more expensive than the likes of NCL or HAL which have extra charges for everything (which are not quoted when they tease you with "7-day Mexico for $595"). I'm sure they're a little more (smaller ships, etc), but is the difference really that large? (The answer to which may be relevant to your book?)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.