Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I would remove the door panel and look at the door lock mechanism first. Removing doors in most cars is fairly easy. I like to joke that it's a 2 minute job - THE SECOND TIME. The first time you're so paranoid you're going to break something, you'll spend half an hour easily.

On "most" of the cars I've had the door panels off, there are a few screws around the handle/armrest, then a few screws or popoffs around the sides and bottom. Remove any screws, and carefully use a tape-covered screwdriver or flat bar to get under the popoffs. Once everything is free, the panel is simply hooked over top of the door against the window. With the window down, simply lift the panel and it will come off. Unplug the wiring harnesses that go to any door speakers, window/lock controls, etc. and set the panel in a safe place. Peel back the plastic lining and take a look.

Try to move the lock and with any luck you can figure out what's binding. I'd certainly give this a shot before committing to the time and gas it will take to get to the dealer.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.