Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0

I would say that "fine-tuning" is poorly defined.

This definition from Wikipedia seems sufficiently defined to me:

The fine-tuned universe is the proposition that the conditions that allow life in the Universe can occur only when certain universal dimensionless physical constants lie within a very narrow range of values, so that if any of several fundamental constants were only slightly different, the Universe would be unlikely to be conducive to the establishment and development of matter, astronomical structures, elemental diversity, or life as it is understood.

I heard one physicist say that he can't understand what people mean when they argue that certain parameters in the universe are finely-tuned given that the upper boundary of some of those parameters is infinite.

Which ones are those? Obviously when a scientist is talking about a fine-tuned parameter, he's not talking about one with infinite limits
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.