Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I would strongly suggest that your mother consult an estate planning attorney prior to doing any DIY estate planning/gifting.

I second this. I will add, though, that when my dad consulted an eldercare attorney, the attorney recommended that Dad:
- Buy a more expensive house, as Medicaid doesn't count the value of real estate when considering whether the person qualifies for assistance (this varies by state).
- Give the remainder of his money to his grown children ASAP, and cross fingers nothing bad happens until after the Medicaid 5-year lookback.

Luckily, Dad did none of that. Also luckily, he'd already seen an estate planning attorney, so he had a will, trust, advance medical directive, power of attorney, etc, already set up.

What the estate planning or eldercare attorney will advise depends on whether "asset protection" is one of your stated goals.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.